The LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 is a fully interactive robotics Lego product that features a combination of the all-time favorite Lego blocks and state-of-the-art microcomputer programming software.
This product has definitely taken the traditional Lego bricks to a whole new level. The bricks are used to create and design robots of all shapes and sizes that can see, speak, move, feel and fully interact with humans.
LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 Features
- Features a state-of-the art microcomputer which is one of the latest there is in robotics technology. It has a highly advanced programmable microcontroller, smart sensors, drag and drop programming software, Bluetooth and wireless connections – all of which are the basic components for creating your very own robot
- Interactive Servo Motors that give you full and easy control over the machine. This also assures players of more accurate and precise movements.
- Features four different robotic sensors that allow these machines to actually feel and react to their external environment. The first sensor is the visual sensor which allows the robot to detect obstacles, movement and measure distance. The second and the third are the touch sensors that give the machine a sense of touch. The fourth sensor is the color sensor which can detect different light intensities and various colors.
- Mindstorms is a fully programmable system. You can create your very own software and download it on to the gadget via USB cable, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connections
- Product dimensions: 18.9 x 3.7 x 14.9 inches; weight: 3.6 lbs.
What’s In The Box
The LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 package includes a NXT Programmable Lego Brick, four different robotic sensors, three Interactive Servo Motors, a USB cable, additional 7×6 wiring cables, building instructions (for the four different robots, the software and the test pad), a user guide and finally, 619 durable Lego pieces.
What We Like About LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0
Robotics enthusiasts find this toy impressive and fun. The additional touch, ultrasonic and color sensors are welcome additions to the gadget. The color sensor in particular, does not only detect various colors but different light intensities and act as a night lamp as well. These features were formerly absent in older models.
The use of Lego bricks instead of the usual brick toys gives the gadget an added assurance of quality. The 2.0 version in particular, makes use of studless construction with a wide selection of beams, axles and pegs that allow you to create robot designs with better detail.
Apart from that, the bricks can now be directly connected to the motor without the use of gears for motion.
The LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 programming system also offers a number of great added features. First off, it offers new programming blocks, remote controls, image and sound editors that make the programming process even more challenging and fun. Performance-wise, the 2.0 version is relatively faster than the older 1.0 version.
Compared to the 1.0 version, the LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 contains lesser numbers and varieties of gears. Any robotic enthusiast would always prefer to have more kinds of gears for better detail and design.
Price-wise, the LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 is much more expensive compared to the older models. You’ll have to add in a hefty $30 more. However, those who know the new LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 features well have reported that the additional expense is more than worth it.
The Bottom Line
Although more expensive, the impressive additional features installed on to the new LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 is definitely worth every cent. The LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 is now easily available online through a number of websites. It will make a great gift for any kids from 10 to 18 years old.